October 1-November 30, 2020
The number of people living with diabetes has been on the rise at an alarming rate. Chronic hyperglycemia predisposes the development of long term complications which includes Diabetic peripheral neuropathy (DPN). DPN maybe accompanied with painful diabetic peripheral neuropathy (pDPN) arising as a direct with a prevalence of 15%, this however remains underdiagnosed.
To determine the prevalence of peripheral neuropathy in patients with Diabetes Mellitus.
This study is a Cross-sectional Study to determine the prevalence of Diabetic peripheral neuropathy in patients with Diabetes Mellitus seen at the Outpatient Department of BGHMC from the study duration of October to November 2020.
Out of the 65 patients with diabetes seen, less than half (42%) had diabetic polyneuropathy based on the Michigan Neuropathy Screening Instrument (MNSI) with most patients (85%) having painful diabetic neuropathy. The presence of hypertension was significantly related to patients having diabetes without peripheral neuropathy (P= 0.03) while the absence of nephropathy and retinopathy was significantly associated with not having diabetic neuropathy since the p- values were 0.021 and 0.004 respectively.
Diabetes Mellitus is a condition that is long standing with longterm sequelae. DPN with neuropathic pain is an important cause of foot ulcers that may lead to amputation. The role of healthcare professionals in the early identification and screening of diabetic nueropathy in patients with diabetes mellitus is crucial to aggressively screen, educate, and treat patients. The Michigan Neuropathy Screening Test is an easy, simple and indespensable tool for testing diabetic neuropathy which can be done in the OPD as well as in health centers.
1. SPALLONE, V. . "4. Validation of DN4 as a screening tool for neuropathic pain in painful diabetic polyneuropathy" Diabetic Medicine , 2011
2. ACKER, V . "Prevalence and impact on quality of life of peripheral neuropathy with or without neuropathic pain in type 1 and type 2 diabetic patients attending hospital outpatinets clinics" Diabetes and Metabolism , 2008
3. HICKS, C. . "9. Epidemiology of peripheral neuropathy and lower extremity disease in diabetes" Current diabtes reports , 2019
4. DAGANG, J. . "12. Validation of the Filipino-Translated Version of the Michigan Neuropathy Screening Instrument seen at the Philippine General Hospital" Journal of the ASEAN Federation of Endocrine Societies , 2016
5. KOOPMAN, R. . "19. Evidence of nephropathy and Peripheral Neuropathy in US Adults with undiagnosed Diabetes" Annals of Family medicine , 2006